Wednesday, June 4, 2008

A Fun Evening

Hello all, this is Kate reporting for duty. Andrea is laying in bed with Drew and Dan is relaxing so I am here to update you.

After the last update, Drew ate a little bit of dinner but not too much since he had such a large lunch. Dan's mom Kathy brought a lovely Mexican lasagna that someone had made for the Himmelbergers (I'm not sure who it was from, but they really liked it!)

We all headed down to the playroom for a little r&r. It was a regular zoo in there because a San Francisco Giant, Kevin Frandsen, was here for an evening visit/photo session. I think our friend Katie Scott might be jealous; she's a Giants fanatic. There was pizza and bingo, and he was talking to all of the kids. Dan had set up Drew's trains in the alcove since the playroom was so full, but Andrea was brave and asked Kevin to come out and say hi to Drew. He came out there for a while and he was really very nice! He wasn't awkward with the kids and I think Drew liked him too. He signed a shirt for Drew and gave him a baseball card and gave Dan a hat. Not autographed though. There was a newspaper photographer who took a great picture of Drew and Kevin which will very likely be in the paper or online; we'll keep you updated. Andrea got a pic too of course:See? Kevin is very nice and he is my new fiance, except I would maybe like to groom his eyebrows a little bit.

After mastering his monitors earlier, Drew has now conquered the controls on his bed, so he's been flattening out and folding himself in half for the last hour. It's very cute and Dan took a video of it:




Right now we are waiting for the nurse to come back in so that she can change the dressing that they did earlier. They are going to give him Fentanyl again but hopefully it will be very simple and quick this time. Andrea's staying the night here this time so pray for good rest for everyone and that the dressing change goes well. Good night, all of you beautiful people.

P.S. for those of you following the issue, Drew still can't stand to hear me laugh at all, he says, "no laughing!" :-)

12 comments:

DeAnna said...

Sounds like an exciting evening! I loved the video, it totally cracked me up!! Love to see him Smiling!!

DeAnna said...

PS thanks Kate for the update!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Andrea,I forgot to ask you if you remembered to get the laundry from the 3-South laundry room today?

Love, Mom/Ava Babysitter

Kristen Ewers said...

Thank Jesus for Kate! What an amazing friend she is to the Himmels. I know that she deserves a shout out for all the stuff she is quietly doing behind the scenes to serve you guys. (She will probably kill me later for making a big deal, but I don't care...she's great!) Anyway, I'm so glad to see Drew acting like Drew! What a change in the last week...Hooray! We'll be praying for continued healing. Love you guys, Kristen

Kacie said...

hi guys. i just loved seeing drew's cute little legs crossed in this video and in the post before -while he's sitting in his bed. he looks adorable and i just want to give him a squeeze. loved the fun update about meeting a Giant, too. very thankful for the fun diversions. (: sorry about the longer hospital stay. i know it's not what you were hoping for. hang in there. Kacie

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for this update...I loved the video - the smiles are worth a million bucks! I hope tomorrow brings good things for Drew...I'm continuing to pray. We're standing ready to come for a visit (Ty Kub and I that is). If I get word that it would be helpful, we would love to come over and see you guys soon.

Much love, Laurie

Unknown said...

What a great afternoon you all had. The video of Drew was so nice to see. Poor kid has to figure out way to stay entertained. Just wait till he figures out what the nurse call button does...he will have them running all over the place. LOL!

Thank you Kate for the update! They are so blessed to have you helping out.

The Portas said...

Oh that video is so adorable. I love seeing the smiles and he is obviously feeling a lot better. I hope the dressing change went ok last night and that you all got miraculously restful sleep! Praying for a day of HUGE PROGRESS today! Sending you lots of love...xxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update, delightful Kate! It's so nice to see Drew smiling over and over again. No more forced smiles. Yeah!

I loved his bed video, Dan. It was nice to hear you and Drew laughing together.

I'm glad I get to see you all again tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get a smile from Drew too.

Love,
Jen

Anonymous said...

You rock wacky Kate...
Annie, Marie, Heather and I will plan the engagement party for you and your new beau.Heather will make sure the brows are taken care of and Drew can be the best man. You are such a wonderful and supportive friend to the entire lovie nation....
It's just AL

Peter Scott said...

Glad to see Drew so much happier. It's like night and day. I'm sure it makes life much more easier for you guys.

Katie Scott said...

This post totally made me laugh. The only problem was that I was illegally looking at it during a training this morning, and got some weird looks from people who were probably wondering what was so funny about the computer program we were learning about! Oh well!!!

I love that video of Drew looking so happy and having so much fun with his bed! So great! I think that it is delightful that Kate mentioned me in her post, but I don't know about this engagement to a Giants player. I better be invited to the wedding, so I can get my autograph there!! Love you all and am excited to see you tomorrow!!