Friday, May 30, 2008

Post-Op Day 7

After rounds this morning the only orders were to have Drew get up and move around more. So pretty much everything else is the same. He still has 2 chest tubes, an IV and his pacer wires. Still on .25 liters of oxygen. Still holding all vital signs stable. He is now on only tylenol and motrin for pain and I think he's doing pretty good with that. He is also getting lasix orally and simethicone for gas. It crossed my mind that he may not need any medication when we go home. How amazing would that be?

Drew walked for the first time today. He had a lot of help from mommy & daddy, the PT and the nurse. It is quite the ordeal to get him in and out of bed. Can't lift him under the arms for six weeks, so we have to scoop him in sort of a chair sit. Then someone has to be in charge of the chest tubes, making sure they don't catch on anything and that his feet don't get tangled, and someone has to be in charge of the oxygen, for the same reasons. He only walked from his bed to the door and he did not like it! He had a single, sad tear running down his face.

I think this may be the hardest part for me. Making him do things that are uncomfortable, maybe even painful, but doing it because it will make him better. It is good for his lungs to be moving around and also for drainage for the chest tubes, which we'd like to get rid of. But he cries and shouts (quietly) and kicks his little legs. Poor guy.

He's been eating better, but still not normally yet. After his short walk and lunch he took a two hour nap, and so did we. Unfortunately he slept through the hours the play room was open, but we will try and make it tomorrow. We still don't have a roommate yet! It has been wonderfully peaceful in our room. Drew keeps asking if it's raining because of the bubbling sound from the vacuum for his chest tubes. It is a relaxing sound.

After he woke up we got him up and into the wagon. We went for a walk on the roof where Drew saw a helicopter and a couple of airplanes and finally got a little fresh air and sunshine. We met another nice family up there who's 5 year-old son was diagnosed with leukemia three weeks ago. Drew and Cameron had a good little walk out there. Then we took him to see the train on the first floor. That may be our motivation to get him standing and walking. He stood up to watch it for about 10 seconds, then sat upright on my lap for a good twenty minutes. This is great progress for him!

Taking some steps

Sitting up and playing with some toys

Outside on the roof

The sun was getting bright

Watching the train


Kate said...

hey! there's nothing in this post!

Vanessa said...

Poor baby...walking with those chest tubes in has to be uncomfortable. I hope he gets those out soon.

It was good to hear he got to go outside and get some fresh air. Hope tomorrow is just as good and maybe he can go to the play room.

Our Family said...

Oh he is so cute! That hospital looks beautiful. What huge accomplishments he has made in 7 days. Kids are amazing!

Quayle Covey Blog said...

I'm sure you wall are exhausted. It sure is great to see Drew making a little improvement every day physically and emotionally. I see a bit more smiling each day! Jacob can't wait to come play "go fish" with Drew!

Katie Scott said...

It is so great to see pictures of Drew up and about. That is sad that he had a tear running down his little cheek when she he got up. Good job for continuing to give him motivation to get up, though. He is so cute in his wagon!!

Allison said...

He looks great! So good to see him happier! He is the cutest boy ever!

Kate said...

with the great job drew is doing and you and dan are doing for him, don't forget to keep taking care of yourselves! be as gentle with yourselves as you are with sweet little drew. i can't wait to see you all again!

Kathy said...

Poor little man...I can't imagine making your baby get up and move around when you know it's uncomfortable. I bet you guys were a site...keeping all the hoses and tubes in place while holding onto him!
And the train...what a great idea to encourage him to stand!
He looks SO good...hope the tubes come out soon! and I Can't believe that you guys don't have a roommate yet...LUCKY DUCKS! I'm SO jealous...we NEVER had that room without another crying baby to share it with!

Armbruster Asylum said...

Go Drew! You are doing great!!! :) Thanks for the updates you all!

Anonymous said...

Hi Dan Andrea and Drew,
I was so grateful that I was able to make it down today to spend some time with all of you. I just left really feeling strongly about praying for the continued progress but also really praying for the challenge of having to make Drew do things that are good for him but make him SO uncomfortable!! I am praying that you will all be home by next Friday but if you are not quite ready I would love to bring Tommy down for some storytime and games with Drew. Praying Praying Praying!!

char said...

hi...we've never met but i've been following your site when i found it searching for bay area chd support groups. just wanted to say that drew's such a strong and brave boy. your whole family is amazing. my 2½ year old daughter had open heart surgery on thursday and it was very hard for me. but she's doing good now and we're on the 3rd floor now too. hopefully i can take her to the rooftop tomorrow. she would probably like to see the helicopter too. maybe we'll bump into you. =P

Erika said...

It's tough for me to read this having just been through it last week and knowing all too well what Drew is going through and what you're feeling. Your blog is the first place I check when I sit down at the computer, and you are all in our thoughts. Hopefully the playroom/train/sunshine are lifting Drew's spirits, even if he's not showing it so much yet. Hang in there - he's headed in the right direction!

Erika said...

Oh, and I think it's funny you think the vacuum sound is relaxing. It drove me NUTS! Next to Sammy's comfort, getting rid of that sound when his tubes were pulled was such a relief. I'm more of an absolute-silence kind of gal, I guess.:-)

Amy said...

Drew is looking so good, it's nice to see the little smiles too. Keep the hard work mom and dad, you guys are doing a GREAT job!

Anonymous said...


It must be so nice to finally hold Drew and play next to him. I'm glad he was able to see the sun.

You are all doing such a great job. Even through no sleep and countless hours in the hospital you still have smiles on your faces. YOu Continue to amaze me with your strength and courage!

I bet he really liked seeing the train. It was neat to see that picture of him. I could tell he liked being there with his mommy and trains. What more could a 4 year old ask for?

Eben say, "I love you and I miss you and I hope you feel better when I see you."

Praying and thinking about you guys!

The Scott's

Beth W said...

The progress Drew has made this week is remarkable! You and Dan's spirits are up, you are trusting the Lord, and I can see your positive attitude coming through even in this difficult time!

Love you, still praying!!!

Dina said...

Hi Andrea
I'm so glad to see that Drew's recovery seems to be going along smoothly with relatively few bumps in the road. He looks great. I hope he continues to progress as well as he has been and that you all are home soon.


Valerie said...

WOW!! Drs. H and M were pretty accurate in their "7-10 days". Drew looks great! His little lips are so pink, that is what amazes me the most.

I would like to start rallying Hearts of Hope to jump in and help you when you get home. Meals, childcare, laundry, etc. Let us know what we can do!

Anonymous said...

We are praying for you guys. I can only hope that I will be as brave as Drew. He is quite the inspiration.

Matt Kube