Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Fun Weekend

I hope all the moms out there had a wonderful Mother's day.

I found myself thinking of my friends who have lost their mom's or who have lost their children. I know it can be a difficult day for many and my thoughts were with you.

Our weekend began on Friday when we left around noon to drive down to So Cal. The kids were good about two-thirds of the drive and awful for about one-third. Ava refused to take her nap and fell asleep at 6, right before we arrived. The two hours of awful involved Ava crying for no reason we could figure out, her and Drew screaming at each other and multiple stops.

Saturday we had a birthday party for Ava at my Mom's house and the whole extended family joined us. It was a jungle animal theme, complete with lots of huge animal balloons and a monkey pinata. The hit of the party was the cake which looked like a tiger and the monkey cupcakes. The kids had a great time.

Ava is two!

Elephant balloon

Ava on the "animal safari"

Drew and his animals

Ava wants to hug the monkey pinata

All the adults watching the kids gather their loot

Poor monkey

Me with Jamie and Baby Ashley

Opening presents

Ready for cake!

Sunday was Mother's Day and my mom and I enjoyed breakfast in bed. Then my mom and my sister and I went and had our nails done and did a little shopping. And we had a nice dinner with the entire family before my brother and sister had to leave to go back home and to school.

Breakfast in bed with my mom

The whole family

Me and my boy

Our gift to Grandma

Monday we got up at 4:30 and loaded the car and were on the road by 5 am. The plan was to leave early enough so the kids would sleep most of the way, but it didn't exactly work out that way. Ava didn't fall asleep until 9 and Drew only slept for about an hour from 5:30 to 6:30. It was still a better drive than on the way down, probably because they were tired and quiet. Plus we were home by 11:15 so we had the whole day to adjust to being home.

I have a list of people to call today.
-blood bank at Stanford to make sure they have CMV negative, irradiated blood for Drew
-housing people at Stanford to check out our options
-radiology nurse at UCD to see if Drew has to fast and for how long for his CT on Tuesday
I also need to find my financial assistance application and turn that in. Should make for an interesting post tomorrow!

4 comments:

Kate said...

looks like a fun weekend, it's sweet that ava wanted to hug the pinata. and another chance to wear a fluffy dress! but can a person get a little frickin recognition for watching the dogs despite sudden-onset debilitating depression AND the fact that bandit is one day going to snap, you can see it in his eyes, and it's probably going to manifest itself through biting my face off. i'm just saying.

ps i kid of course.
pps you'll pay.
ppps just kidding for real this time :-)

Kathy said...

Good luck with all the calls...
I keep a list too..and just keep throwing the list in a basket...you're GOOD...actually intending on making those calls!!!
What a cute birthday party!!
Love all the pics!

Meredith said...

Ha! Your friend Kate is very funny :) I'll give her props for watching the dogs!

Looks like you had a great Mommy's Day. I was just thinking about the eggs your Mom made for breakfast the day of your wedding - with the cheese and corn tortillas and salsa. Yummy!

The Portas said...

I loved the pics! What fun! I love the one of you and your mom eating breakfast in bed. How cute. :)

Good luck with your phone calls today. I'm hoping they will all go seamlessly!