Sunday, October 5, 2008

Cowtown Results

My time for the half-marathon was 2 hours 22 minutes and 7 seconds. That is a 10:50 minute per mile pace. Not great, but better than last year! I accomplished all three of my goals, so that is a plus. The minus is that it was awful! It just did not feel right the whole time I was running. Usually during a long run I have a good amount of time that I'm feeling in the groove. Not so today. Every mile was difficult! But I say that makes it even better that I kept pushing through to finish it.

I have two theories as to why it wasn't as good as it could have been. One is that I went to a friend's birthday party yesterday. Even though I was being careful to hydrate, I wasn't careful about eating healthy foods. I had chips and salsa, guacamole, hummus, olive bread with chevre spread etc. Yummy, but maybe not the best fuel for running. And my other idea is that I started out too fast at the beginning. I usually run a 10:30 minute mile and for the first 3 miles my friend and I were doing 10 minute miles. My body could feel the difference, and even though I slowed down after that I think it might have made the rest of the race more difficult. But on the bright side, I finished 127 out of 228 in my age group, so I beat 101 ladies between the ages of 30 and 34. And I finished 1471 out of 2303 overall.

I only have a picture of me before the run, and that is probably for the best because I was super sweaty when it was over. Dan and the kids just barely missed me at the finish line (I am too fast for them!) and he forgot the camera so there are no after photos. When I get the professional one of me crossing the finish line I will decide if it looks good enough to post here. ;)

Me, in the dark, before the race

13 comments:

Wyndi said...

wow!! congrats on the run! that is wonderful! Way to go!!

my life: said...

You are a TOTAL rock star! :0)

Amy, Steve, Molly, Paige and Garrett said...

Um... just DOING the run is a huge accomplishment. I say this as I sit on the couch like a lump eating ice cream! :)
Amy

Anonymous said...

hahahhaaha I love Amy's comment!! I am so proud of you Andrea. YOu are an inspiration to follow through even though it was very tough BRAVO!!
Kristina

Jessica said...

I'm so proud of you! I'd be so scared to even ATTEMPT such a feat!
You rock!

PS I love your new blog design! I usually read in Google Reader, so pardon my shame if it's been like this for awhile! :)

Kathy said...

Congratulations!
You're amazing...I get tired climbing up and down the stairs!

Katie Scott said...

I am so proud of you!!! I am with Amy--that you can even run 13.1 miles is awesome!!!

Anne Marie said...

Awesome job, Andrea! It's so difficult to hang in there when your feeling "a little off" from the start. But you did it! Nice job, we were thinking of you yesterday and sending you good vibes :)

Anonymous said...

You rock, Cuz!! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrea...you don't know me, but I have been following your blog for a while now. My daughter struggles with some of the same things Drew does, and your blog has always been an inspiration. I would love to "chat" with you more. amyhassler@comcast.net

The Portas said...

Regardless of anything, that is an awesome feat! Good for you...hot running mama! :)

JenniferMorris said...

Wow!!! You are so brave. Doing a run like that is a HUGE accomplishment, I would not even know where to begin. I dont think I could even run to the end of the street LOL!!

Unknown said...

Your amazing! I don't know how you do it girlfriend. I'm so proud of you for meeting all your goals.