Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A Big Milestone


Today is a big day for Drew. Aside from the day of his birth, today is the first day in his life that he won't be taking any medication! When Drew came home from the hospital he was on 9 different medications. He took calcium, rocaltrol, aspirin, nystatin, MCT oil, ranitidine, NaCl, spiranolactone, and lasix and we administered these medications at six different times throughout the day. I had to keep a schedule on my refrigerator to keep track of it all. Over the years as some were discontinued, others were added and for the last two years he's only been on three medications. Since his most recent heart surgery he's only been on two diuretics, lasix and spiranolactone, and yesterday when I called his cardiologist he gave me the ok to stop giving them to him. Naturally I took a picture of Drew so that I could compare his "puffiness" yesterday to any puffiness we may see in the next few days. Hopefully we won't see any and this will be the end of daily oral medication for Drew!

17 comments:

Valerie said...

Awesome! Nothing quite like that feeling!

Anne Marie said...

This is a huge milestone, and another huge example of how much of a success his last surgery was. Congrats on this very exciting step in Drew's life!

Krista said...

This brought tears to my eyes! So glad to hear he's doing well.

Wyndi said...

wow ! that is wonderful amazing news!!! go drew!!

The Portas said...

This is HUGE! Got tears in my eyes as well... Praying for no puffiness and NO MEDICATIONS for good. oxox

Amber said...

Yea Drew! Congrats on the milestone...great job buddy!

Gina and the Gang said...

Oh my goodness, what a wonderful milestone! And easier on the pocketbook too. Way to go Drew!!!

Kristina said...

Praise God and God Bless our Drew

Amy, Steve, Molly, Paige and Garrett said...

Praying against any puffiness! I would imagine there would be a feeling of freedom to not have that to worry about meds any more!
Amy

Drew and Ava's Grandma said...

How wonderful! How are you going to wean Ava from her syringe of water now?

Love, Mom

Kacie said...

Hooray! that's such great news! (: Kacie

Laura said...

that makes me a little weepy too! this is HUGE, and i know what a giant step it is in all of your lives. yay for blessings! much love to all!

Unknown said...

What awesome news!

We've been dealing with the puffiness as well. Never thought about taking a picture. Your so smart.

Kathy said...

No meds...oh, I can't believe it!!!
YEAH for DREW!

He's such a big boy! Hope the puff stays away!

Anonymous said...

Yeah! That is wonderful news. I hope that everything continues to go GREAT:)
Amy Hassler

JenniferMorris said...

How great!!! What an amazing thing. As a mom I can only begin to imagine how that must feel for you. I am so happy for you!!

Anonymous said...

THIS IS AWESOME! Way to go Drew. I am so happy for Drew and your family. Just one more step toward a healthier more energetic little man! Best wishes.