Sunday, September 23, 2007

Update


We had to take Drew to the ER yesterday because he's had a high fever for two days. At one point it got up to 103.1, which is very high for him. Because it was the weekend we had to take him to the ER. As far as ER visits go, it was the best one ever. There was no line for triage and we got taken back into the Peds ER immediately. Although the triage nurse did say "he's got some weird syndrome I've never heard of." Luckily we found her insensitive comment humorous and not offensive. Another quote of the evening from Drew was "Daddy, is the clock moving slower?" No, but it sure does seem like that!

The med student we had taking our history and doing the prelimary evaluation was great, better than some residents we've had. I told them immediately that if he required an IV I wanted the pediatric transport team to do it and they honored that request. They did a urine analysis, blood cultures, strep test, and chest x-ray. The transport team was able to get the IV in only two tries, and while it was still very traumatic for Drew it's much better than the 8-10 times it's taken in the past. The x-ray people were great-even x-raying his dog first and showing him the pictures. We got there around 4 and around 8 they decided it looks like an emerging pneumonia and he should be admitted, mostly to keep an eye on him. We hung around the ER until midnight when he was finally transferred to a bed on the pediatric floor. His fever is still coming back when the motrin or tylenol wears off, but in between fevers he's acting pretty normal. His oxygen saturations are still normal for him at around 85 and he doesn't need oxygen. Today the blood cultures will come back and we're hoping for negative results on those. So, that's the update.

6 comments:

Valerie said...

So, what do you need me to do?? I can bring food, toys, watch Ava? Just let me know, I am here.

Thinking of you....

Valerie

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrea, this is Karen - J.T.'s mommy - I met you yesterday at the walk. I'm so sorry to hear about Drew being admitted to the hospital. My prayers are with you guys right now. It's never restful in the ER & I'm sure you are all exhausted. I pray the Lord will heal him quickly. See you Friday? Blessings, Karen :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrea, sorry to hear about this fever. Staff makes all the difference, as you know, so I was happy to hear they were backing your requests. I will be praying for Drew - and lots of strength for the rest of you-
Love, Jana

Jennifer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer said...

Hi Andrea,
My name is Jennifer and my daughter's name is Amelia. I am new to the group and I just wanted to write and tell you that I am sending lots of prayers for you and your beautiful boy.

Jennifer

Dina said...

I was checking for pictures of the heart walk so was surprised to hear that Drew is sick. I'm so sorry that he had to be admitted, hospital stays are never fun. I hope he gets well soon and you are back at home before you know it. I will be thinking about you guys and sending good thoughts your way.

Dina