Tuesday, September 4, 2007

First Day of Preschool

Drew and his teacher

Today was Drew's first day of preschool. He loved it! He ran into the room without even saying goodbye. I had to ask him for a hug before hurrying outside so he wouldn't see my tears. I cried like a baby outside. I don't think I would have cried, had it not been for his rough beginning. I wasn't sad. It was just a milestone that I wasn't sure we'd ever get to have. And here he is, my big 3 1/2 year old miracle baby going off to preschool without me. I'm so proud of him.

When I picked him up he came running to me shouting Mommy, Mommy! Here is our conversation in the car as I remember it:

Me: What did you do in school today?
Drew: Played with toys.
Me: What else?
Drew: Played outside.
Me: What friends did you play with?
Drew: I played with Jacob and Ryan. Ryan was a sad boy. He lost his mommy.
Me: That's sad. But his mommy came back. Just like your mommy came back.
Me again: Did you have a snack?
Drew: Yeah.
Me:What did you have?
Drew: Goldfish and a cheese stick.
Me: That sounds good. Did you sing any songs?
Drew: Yes, wheels on the bus and open shut them.
Me: Did you learn anything about God today?
Drew: He made all the animals. Even whales and dolphins.
Me: That's right. He did make all the animals. Did you have a fun day today?
Drew: Yeah. I want to go to school tomorrow.

9 comments:

Jessica said...

yay! I'm so glad he likes it!
Elizabeth was the sad kid at her daycare.

Amy, Steve, Molly, Paige and Garrett said...

I think I'm going to cry when Molly goes to school and she's totally healthy. I say just let those tears flow... :)
Amy

Anonymous said...

Okay, that is my favorite blog so far! Could Drew look any happier or any more proud in that picture? I hope he's not giving you a hard time today because there is no shcool.

Love, Mom

Wyndi said...

how exciting! congrats drew on your 1st day!! yeah!

Anne Marie said...

Awesome! Yay Drew- we're glad you think school is cool :)

Anonymous said...

Andrea,

Not sure what my problem is but this post post made me just cry and cry and cry. Maybe it's the relief I feel for you that Drew has come this far. Maybe it's the hope it gives me.

Sniff. I'm going to go get ahold of my self. Congrats on the big day!

Jane.

Meredith said...

When did Drew become such a big boy? Sniff, sniff :(

DeAnna said...

So sweet!

Anonymous said...

Oh Andrea!! Your most recent blogs are so so inspiring!! I can't even begin to imagine the life that you have had with your miracle boy Drew over the last three and a half years. All I can say is this that we (Tommy, Tony and I) feel so extremely blessed to be a part of your life. I can't wait to hear all about Drew's school experience. God Bless