Well, I got the phone call I've been waiting for this morning. A sweet lady named Mollie called from UCD's managed care department to tell us that we've been officially denied our request to go to Stanford. The reason is that they have determined that UCD can offer the same level of care as Stanford. I disagree. Other bad news: they can also offer the same level of care as UCSF. So we've been denied to go there too. Because our insurance is POS we can choose to still go to Stanford and pay a 20% copay. So, what is 20% of a million dollars...oh, way more than we have to spend.
Of course I sobbed on the phone with Mollie (poor thing, I bet that happens a lot) and she said she is going to help us find a way. She is going to contact CCS to see if we qualify (we definitely don't qualify for income, but we may be able to qualify with specific diagnoses) and they may cover the copay. The other option is to begin the appeals process, which I probably will anyway, but I have to wait until I receive the denial letter in the mail and then the process takes about 30 days. We only have 37 days until our scheduled surgery date at Stanford. Of course, the final option is to just schedule surgery at UCD.
My heart is heavy. I am so disappointed. I was really hoping and praying that we would be approved on the first try. I know it's not the end of the world, and we have time to work it out. I know Drew will have the surgery that he needs and it is in God's hands. But it is so frustrating. We already had a date and a plan and it feels like we are starting over from square one. We have made plans for the summer around a surgery date of May 23. If that date changes, so do all of our plans.