Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays, probably second only to Christmas. I love the time of reflecting on our blessings, giving thanks to God, and sharing what we have. This year I participated in a kind of challenge, each day coming up with one thing that I am thankful for. So I have had a lot of time to think and reflect on what I am thankful for. I like spreading it out through the month, so I can experience gratitude on a daily basis.
You would think that with all we have been through as a family, all the stories we've come to know through being a part of the CHD community, that we would never take anything for granted. That we would never sweat the small stuff or get caught up in petty things and that we'd count each day that we are able to open our eyes as a tremendous blessing. But, we are human. And once things settle into a normal routine it's easy to fall back into our old habits.
I'm thinking it might be a good idea to continue the challenge of finding one thing to be thankful for each day for the entire year. Wouldn't it be incredible to look back at it months later and be able to actually count your blessings? I think it would be a great way to keep life in perspective.
So what am I thankful for?
I'm thankful for my family.
- I'm thankful for my strong, supportive, loving, generous, hard-working husband. I'm thankful for him every day.
- I'm thankful for a healthy little boy with 100% oxygen saturations and so much energy he is a little bit naughty.
- I'm thankful for my sweet, feisty little girl who feels everything BIG and has the best laugh and the cutest little dimple...and she knows it!
- I'm thankful for Hearts of Hope and the amazing professionals in the field of pediatric cardiology. My life has been permanently changed because of you.
- I am SO thankful that Drew got his H1N1 flu shot! A huge thank you to Dr. Teimor Nasirov for making it possible for Drew and the other heart kids in our support group to get the shot they need to be protected!
- I'm thankful that our peds office got the H1N1 injections in and that Ava got her shot. I was going to take her to the county health department clinic and saw on the news that some people waited 8 hours in line!
I'm thankful for babies.
- I'm thankful that so many of our friends and family are having babies! We have been praying for some of these babies for years, and now they are on their way!
- I'm thankful for baby Ashley, who learned how to say "Auntie Andrea." She is so cute!
- I'm thankful for crisp fall mornings and morning jogs with my husband. And the spa to sit in afterward!
- I'm thankful for our Sunday morning tradition: pancakes and chicken apple sausage for breakfast. Yum!
- I'm thankful for my crockpot. It cooks dinner for me while I clean the house and go to the gym.
- I'm thankful for my minivan with DVD player. It makes the six hour drive to my parent's house so much easier!
- I'm thankful for my cozy house and my own bed! And that our whole family is together under one roof.
- I'm thankful that God has provided for all of our needs...and that we are able to share what we have with those that are less fortunate.